Are roofing contractors Chapel Hill NC needed?
Not very often, but residents of Chapel Hill still have to worry about how a heavy snowfall might influence the roofs on their homes. Even though it’s not one of those cities that don’t experience the seasons, the Triangle city sees significantly less snowfall than the country’s average. But it’s a completely different story with the rain.
Chapel Hill receives around 46 inches of rainfall a year, significantly more than the national average and twice as much as some notoriously rainy cities, such as Mobile, Alabama. Most of it falls in the late spring and seeing how rain is one of the biggest enemies of your roof and your whole house, it would be a good idea to make sure that your roof is weather protected. And that entails a visit from one of the qualified, professional Chapel Hill roofing contractors.
Roofing Contractors Chapel Hill NC: Roofing Job Explained
Roofing contractors are skilled tradespeople who specialize in different types of work that are performed during construction, repair and maintenance of roofs. Because there are several different ways to build a roof, roofers can specialize in different types of work.
Some roofers specialize in working with shingles, other specialize in flat roofs, and there are those who work with asphalt. However, it’s not uncommon for a single roofer to be skilled in several different roofing techniques, and a good Chapel Hill roofing company will probably have all the major roofing options covered with skilled professionals. In North Carolina roofers do not have to have a license so you should always ask if the roofers are licensed.
During the construction of a roof, roofers are the people who are in charge of making the roof waterproof. Depending on the type of roof, they can layer different protective materials, attach shingles, and apply the flashing around the vulnerable spots such as chimneys and other types of joints.
When they are called to repair a roof, roofers will inspect the roof to establish the extent of the damage, propose the best course of action, and perform the necessary work to ensure that the roof, and everything under it, is safe from the elements. Chief Roofing is among the best roofing contractors Chapel Hill NC has experienced at roof repair. Be sure to give them a call at 919-732-5028 for all your roofing needs.
Roofing Contractors Chapel Hill NC : Do You Need a Professional?
Even the smallest and the most benign problem with the roof should be addressed by skilled Chapel Hill roofers. Roofs are a costly investment, and their repair and maintenance are too important to be left to people who are not skilled in roof repair.
Still, many people see a small leak as the perfect opportunity for some DIY roofing. But that’s usually not a good idea for several reasons, including:
- Safety issues — there are more than 160,000 ladder-related emergency room visits each year in the United States. Around 300 of them end tragically. Using ladders to get on the roof is dangerous enough on its own, but if you want to repair your roof you’ll have to haul materials and equipment up there, making the whole task even more dangerous.
- Lack of proper tools and materials — using materials and tools that are not professional-grade can save you some money. But, it can jeopardize the integrity of your roof, and eventually cause more damage.
- Lack of experience — unless you’re an experienced roofer, you never know what will happen once you get to the roof. The damage caused by the elements can be much more extensive than it appeared in the first place, so you can easily find yourself with more problems than you thought.
- No insurance — professional Chapel Hill roofers have their work insured, which protects you as their customer in case something goes wrong. Your DIY roofing project probably isn’t insured, which means that you’ll be the sole person responsible for fixing every bit of damage you cause to your roof while you’re doing it yourself.
Unless you’re a professional roofer, you shouldn’t be working on your own roof. There are too many things that can go wrong, and the consequences can hit you hard financially, or even damage your health.
When is it Time to Call One of the Roofers Chapel Hill NC Offers
When you’re building a new house in Chapel Hill, if you look up and you don’t see a roof, that’s a clear sign that you need a roofer. But if your house is already built, it might be easy to overlook or dismiss some of the signs that your roof needs professional help. Here are some signs that will signal that it’s time to give a Chapel Hill roofing company a call:
- You see shingles around your home — shingles don’t belong on the ground, and if you see them there, it means that they are not on your roof, protecting it. It would be better to react sooner than wait for other signs of damage to become apparent.
- Your roof doesn’t look good — if your roof sags, it’s a sign of serious structural damage that should be looked at immediately. Even if it’s not sagging, but your shingles look like their edges are curling up or if they’ve cracked, you should still call a roofer to replace them.
- Your ceiling shows signs of water damage — as soon as you notice a water stain on your ceiling, you should have your roof checked by a professional roofer. The stain will not simply go away, and it will get progressively worse as the water slowly ruins your roof.
- There is visible mold — mold is one of the signs of increased moisture, which is one of the consequences of having a leaky roof. Mold can trigger respiratory problems. In extreme cases, it can even cause poisoning.
Some signs of a roof in trouble will be fairly obvious. There can be visible cracks, or you can spot light coming through your roof where it shouldn’t be, and in the very extreme cases, you can even feel a small draft coming through a hole. Whatever you notice, it’s imperative that you have it checked as soon as possible, and prevent a potentially small problem from snowballing.
What to Expect when Calling a Roofer
When you call Chapel Hill roofing contractors to inspect your roof, you should expect them to start by taking a look at the things that made you call them in the first place. But, you should expect a professional roofer to inspect the entire roof and make you aware of any other potential problems. A roofing contractor will inspect your roof with a special focus on the problematic areas:
- Missing shingles — as mentioned before, shingles are placed to protect your roof and missing and cracked shingles cannot do their job well.
- Faulty flashing — flashing is a sheet material that’s applied over vulnerable spots on the roof, and caulking should not be applied to seal any holes. If either of those fails or isn’t installed properly, they will leave a point of entry for water.
- Clogged gutters — clogged gutters can be a major source of roof damage. A gutter that’s clogged cannot siphon water, which can cause the water to pool on your roof. Standing bodies of water on your roof are never a good thing because water tends to find its way through many materials if given enough time.
A roofing contractor will determine the extent of the damage caused by the water. In some cases, and if you noticed the issues with your roof in time, the damage doesn’t have to be too great. Sometimes, however, water can cause the beams in your roof to rot, which is a form of serious damage that can lead to severe structural issues. Roofing contractors will then proceed to replace the shingles, seal any holes, or make plans to repair any structural damage.
We don’t use the phrase “roof over the head” for our homes for nothing. Roofs, for all of their esthetical appeal, are there to protect our homes, our families, and our property from the elements. But if you want your roof to keep protecting you for a long time, you need to make sure that you hire professional roofing contractors to install it and to call them again to repair your roof as soon as you suspect something is wrong with it.
Protect your investment, call Chief Roofing, the best roofing contractors Chapel Hill NC has to offer.